Wednesday 8 February 2012

Fig and Almond Crisps

Second day of the second semester and I cut myself, burnt myself and slipped and fell on my bum in the streets -- fortunately no one witnessed the last event.  So not a great start to a new year -.-

New semester, new start.  I like to make resolutions to the start of anything.  New year, new academic year, new semester, start of the month, start of the week.  I feel like I can only make changes at the start of something.  Yea, so no diets for me on a Wednesday, no no.  Unless it's the start of a new month.  I start my diets on Mondays.  Ok, back to the new semester.  I need to go to the gym.  I need to keep the house clean.  I'm continuing with Economics... Every semester I tell myself I'll drop this miserable, stress-causing subject from hell, but..the Asian part of me that yearns to be employable in the future forces me to continue with it.  Especially this time I told myself that if I get into honors I'll continue, and I did.  Scraped by.  This semester -- if I get a 2-1.

Ok enough about my mundane life and life goals.



Fig and almond crisps.  There are these delicious crackers that I just love,  with pistachios and dried fruits.  But one small box is 3.75 pounds.  yea, a bit steep for something that you can just eat in 10 minutes.  So I've decided to make my own crackers.  Now, I believe this will be better if you use some rye flour instead of the whole wheat flour but I didn't have any.

Ingredients
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tbsp dark brown sugar
1 tbsp runny honey
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup almonds, roughly chopped
1/2 cup dried figs, roughly chopped

Method
Preheat oven to 180C.  Mix all the dry ingredients together and add the honey, buttermilk, and fold in the almonds and dried figs.  Put in a buttered loaf tin and bake for about 30 minutes.  Let cool, wrap in cling film and freeze until hard, but still cutable.  Or take out and thaw for a bit.  This is just so you can cut really thin slices.  Place the slices on an even layer on a baking tray and bake at 160C for 15 minutes, then flip them over, and bake for 15 minutes more.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner