Sunday 11 March 2012

Chinese Sesame Pancakes/Rolls (芝麻酱烙饼)

These are really things from my childhood.  I remember getting these on the streets for 20p.  I've used Chinese sesame paste in some of my other recipes, like in my peanut butter and sesame mousse.  If you find it difficult to acquire it, then feel free to replace it with tahini or even peanut butter here.

You can make this a savory staple by replacing the filling with oil, salt and spring onions.




It's funny because I had never thought of making these.  For some reason, i expected them to be extremely difficult to make.  I suppose it's because my mother's never made them at home, I've always just went out and bought them.  And why would she if they cost only 20p?  Now that I'm in Scotland it's difficult to satisfy all my odd Chinese street food cravings.  Thank goodness for the internet and the Chinese supermarket.  I love the Chinese supermarket.  It's wonderful for whenever I'm homesick.




Prep time: 30 min  Rest time: 30 min  Cook time: 10 min  Makes 4

Ingredients
2 cups of AP flour
1/3 cup hot water
1/3 cup cold water

Filling:
4 tbsp Chinese sesame paste
4 tbsp oil
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt

Method
Add hot water to the flour and mix with a spoon.  Then add the cold water, mix and form into a dough.  Cover with a damp towel and leave it to rest for 30 minutes.

Make the filling by mixing all the ingredients until loose like the consistency of maple syrup, so you may have to adjust the amount of oil added.

Take your dough out and knead for about 5-10 minutes and divide into 4 equal portions.  Roll each portion into a large rectangle, as thin as possible, as large as possible.  Scoop about 2 tbsp of the filling onto the dough and spread evenly, then roll, from the end, all the way up.  It doesn't have to be perfect, it's ok if it breaks off or if it's not rolled tightly.  Then twist so everything's enclosed, and lastly form into a spiral, and finally press it down. And it's done.



Heat some oil in a pan and place the rolls down, heat over medium-low heat until golden, then flip and wait till it's golden on the other side as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner