Monday 10 September 2012

Eggplant and Chickpea Curry

I am really enjoying this vegan thing, I like challenging myself when I cook, and this has proven to be quite..challenging.  It's fun looking for vegan recipes and discovering all these new ingredients and foods, i'm almost tempted to extend this two-week challenge to a whole month!  It could be completely psychological, but I feel great, my body feels great.  I feel healthy and full of energy, though that could be largely due to the fact that there has been a surprising amount of sunshine here in Scotland in the past few days.  There are so many recipes I want to try, and I know I don't have to be vegan to try them, but I like the fact that I have self-control, which I had thought that I didn't have at all when it came to food.  I like setting limits and challenges and having to look for new recipes all the time. I love it.

This eggplant and chickpea curry was absolutely delicious.  Most Asian vegetarian dishes are also vegan since they don't use that much milk products.

Recipe from here
Serves 2-3
Ingredients
1 large eggplant
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 red pepper, deseeded and diced into 0.5cm cubes
1 1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 1/4 tsp ground coriander
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tsp minced ginger
1 can tomatoes
1 can chickpeas
1 tsp garam masala
a bunch coriander, chopped

Method
Preheat oven to 200C.  Cut the eggplant into quarters, prick all over with a fork, and put them on a baking tray and into the oven for about 30 minutes or until cooked through.
Heat a skillet with some oil. Add the onion and cook until it begins to turn golden.
Add the bell pepper and cook for a few more minutes. 
Clear a spot in the center of the skillet and sprinkle the cumin seeds directly on the hot surface. Stir and toast them for about a minute, until they become fragrant. 
Stir them into the onions and peppers and add the coriander, turmeric, garlic, tomatoes, and ginger paste. 
Peel the skins off the eggplant and roughly chop the flesh.
Add the eggplant into the skillet and cook over medium heat, pressing eggplant with the back of a spoon to break up large pieces, for about 10 minutes. 
Add the chickpeas and enough water or chickpea cooking liquid to keep the mixture moist, cover tightly, and turn heat to low. 
Cook for at least 15 minutes, stirring periodically, until sauce has thickened and flavors have blended.
Stir in the garam masala and coriander and serve with the carb of your choice.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner