Tuesday 25 September 2012

Red Pepper Falafels

Warning: please skip directly to the recipe if you don't want to read about my mundane life problems below

So. My social circle changes every year.  Different friends, some friends grow closer, some friends grow further apart, it's natural.  I'm fine with most of it, I take it as it comes, but there is one group of friends that I really want to hold onto.  The problem is every year I move, I live with different people, I take classes with different people, I frequent different places with different people -- so while we're all in the same small university town, I hang out with different people every year.  I blame it on these small changes in my life, but I know it's also my fault because I have this need to befriend everyone.  I've always had this problem, it's why throughout secondary school I didn't really have one best friend, I wanted to be a part of all the cliques and that basically led to me being good friends with everyone but never really fully a part of any of the cliques.

I used to see this group of friends on a daily basis -- I lived with 2 of them, in town and the others always dropped by to chat.  I've talked about how I'm trying to organize my social life in my carrot quinoa casserole post, but with my current plan I'm only seeing these people on Wednesdays, which is a shame, because I really miss them.  With the cold, wind and rain, it's a challenge going to their houses to say hi, but I should try harder.

So how does this have anything to do with red pepper falafels?  Well, I'm trying to think of a link.
This was a recipe I tried out in my vegan challenge. It was very yummy, and a very versatile recipe, so have fun with it.

Adapted from here
Ingredients
1 cup chickpeas
1/2 red pepper
1 tbsp tahini
1/2 garlic clove
1/3 tsp paprika
1/3 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp harissa
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp turmeric

Method
Place the red pepper under a hot grill and grill for about 20-30 minutes or until blackened.  Wrap in tin foil and wait for 10 minutes.  Peel the skin and place it in the food processor with all the other ingredients except for the flour.  Season with salt and add more tahini or add a bit of flour if the consistency isn't right, it should have the consistency of normal beef burger patties.
Form into patties and dip them in flour.  Shallow fry them and you can eat them with tahini or yoghurt.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner