Thursday 11 October 2012

Creamless Creamed Corn

Food52 is one of many recipe sites that I frequent on a daily basis.  I have God knows how many recipes saved on there.  I've also got a ridiculous amount saved on BBC GoodFood, Food Gawker, Saveur, Bon Appetit...And I've got a lot bookmarked from other websites. The worst part of this, other than me having an unhealthy obsession and needing a life, is that I rarely actually use any of the recipes.  Just like my cookbooks, I've got way too many and I don't use them enough. Which reminds me, I went to a book store the other day and mentally made myself a wishlist of about £400 worth of books. I finally figured out how this wishlist thing works on Amazon, maybe I should make my profile and wishlist public so some of you generous readers will give me one for my birthday/Christmas.  Maybe. 

Here's a recipe from Food52, it's fantaaastic.  It's great as a side or if you make more you can have it as a main as well.  Please use fresh corn! The grating of it is quite messy and troublesome, but it will all be worth it at the end, as with all good recipes :) It's healthy and it's so versatile, the original recipe asked for mushrooms, but I had none so I just left it out.  The next morning I made a sweet version of it for breakfast, so I omitted the shallot and garlic and added honey to it instead.


Recipe from Food52
 Serves 1
Ingredients
1/2 shallot, minced
1/2 garlic clove, minced
1 ear fresh corn
lemon zest and lemon juice to taste

Method
Set a box grater in a large bowl. On the coarse side, grate 5 ears of the corn all the way to the cob. Using a serrated knife, cut the kernels from the remaining ears of corn. Using the dull side of the knife, scrape the juices from the cobs into the bowl.
In a saucepan, heat the oil. Add the shallots and garlic and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until very soft, about 10 minutes. Increase the heat to high and when the oil sizzles, add the corn and its juices. Cook, stirring, until the corn is thick and shiny, 3 minutes. Add the lemon zest and juice, season with salt and pepper and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner