Sunday 20 January 2013

Gingerbread Cookies

I'm back, I'm back, I'm back. I'm back in Scotland, I'm back to my regular lifestyle, I'm back to cooking for myself, so Happy Belly's back on track.
 I can't wait until lunch today. I have not yet decided what to make, but I haven't cooked a proper meal for myself in a month.  This is what happens when I'm with my parents. 

It's 6 o'clock in the morning and I awoke with a sense of anxiety.  "Happy Belly needs to be updated, Happy Belly needs to be updated" -- my inner life coach repeated in my head like a guilt-tripping charity worker.  She's also telling me to clean up my room.  It's -- as my father would often say -- a pigsty.  And unpack.  I never cease to amaze myself with my packing abilities -- how so many things can fit into one suitcase.  And figure out what to do for lunch today so I can have a full shopping list when grocery shopping.  I hate my nagging inner life coach. 

I'm sleep-deprived, so excuse me for my temporary insanity with talking about my inner voices.  Anyway, gingerbread cookies.  I love spiced cookies.  Mmm.  Remember my Gingerbread Linzertorte?  Same recipe, same deliciousness.  It's so good that my dad liked them with his coffee in the morning, so you know it's good.  Thanks, Martha. 

Recipe from Martha Stewart
Ingredients
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
2 large egg yolks, plus 1 large egg white

Method
Preheat oven to 160C.
Sift flour, baking powder, spices, and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add sugar; mix on medium-low speed until combined. Add butter; mix until incorporated, about 2 minutes. Add molasses and egg yolks; mix until dough comes together, about 30 seconds.
Turn out dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Roll it out to 1/4 inch and use cookie cutters to cut out desired shapes. 
Lightly beat egg white; brush over cookies and lay them on a lined baking tray.  
Bake for about 10-20 minutes or until golden. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner