Sunday 24 March 2013

Blood Orange and Chestnut Upside Down Bundt Cake

It's not that chestnut-y.  I merely added some chestnut flour, so it does add a hint of nuttiness, but I should have probably added some chestnut puree.  Next project.

Now. The other night I had a rather..disappointing dinner at a restaurant, and I've been debating as to whether or not I should do an unhappy belly review of it (thank you, Jess).  I feel mean, I like to give them the benefit of the doubt and think that it was just an off night, and so it may be unfair for me to discourage others to go.  But after much research (that should have been done before visiting the restaurant), I realized I'm not the only one that had such a bad experience there.  So stay tuned for an unhappy belly review of Dans le noir.

So while I work on that, why not try this absolutely delicious upside down bundt cake I made the other day.  You don't have to make it into a bundt cake, I had finally bought a bundt mould so I wanted to use it but a normal cake tin will do.

Like I was saying, this needs to be experimented with chestnut puree as well.  If you have some, why don't you replace 1/2 cup of milk with 1/4 cup of chestnut puree and 1/4 milk and tell me how it goes?



Adapted from Some Kitchen Stories
Ingredients
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp butter, room temperature, separated into small nobs
2 blood oranges

1 cup chestnut flour
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
3/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup blood orange juice
1/2 cup milk

Method
Preheat oven to 180C, and grease a bundt tin/normal cake tin

Zest the oranges and set the zest aside.  Peel and slice oranges into about 1/4 inch thick slices.

Make the caramel by spreading the sugar evenly on a heavy bottomed pan.  Heat over high heat and just swirl the pan around until it all melts down to a nice amber color (click here for detailed caramel tips).

Take off heat and add in your butter.  It will foam but don't worry.  Put back on the stove over medium heat and mix with a wooden spoon.

Quickly pour your caramel into your tin, spread it evenly, and arrange your orange slices on top.

Mix together the flours, baking powder, sugars and salt.  In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, canola oil, orange juice and milk.  Pour this into the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed.  Pour the batter over the oranges and bake for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick emerges clean.

Allow to cool slightly in pan then flip onto plate. 

1 comment:

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner