Tuesday 7 May 2013

Classic Hummus

See how pretty this is?  This is so bad, I didn't actually make this - but I did help make it.  This was ages ago at a cookery class I was helping out at.  It was a Lebanese cookery class and I just loved this hummus recipe.  Everyone's got a different hummus recipe, I used to make it with just chickpeas, lemon juice, garlic and olive oil.  My friend makes it with yoghurt, some add hot sauce, some add spices, but oh this is quite nice.  Tahini's key.  Don't get rid of the tahini.

I was looking over my photos to see what I could post about because it's been days.  It's exam season and I just don't have time to come back home to cook a meal, I live too far away from the library! This is not budget-friendly because I've been eating out for all my meals.  I did make a cake last night, but I wasn't completely satisfied, and I will master this chocolate coconut cake before I post a recipe of it - I hope this tells you something about the recipes I do post.

So this guy's made it really pretty.  He basically put a dollop of the hummus on a plate, made it into a dome, then pressed on it with his spoon to spread it out and basically go around to make a well.  He drizzled some more olive oil on top, decorated with some paprika (by dipping his fork in paprika and then on the hummus) and chopped coriander.  Gorgeous.  That's the way you serve hummus, people. 
So if you're ever in Edinburgh, check out The Beirut Restaurant for this and much more.  I've never actually been, so I can't vouch for the food served there or anything else, but I know the chef is capable of creating good food.  See, I wouldn't just advertise for people.  Trust my blog, I wouldn't lie to you about a recipe that's not fantastic or a restaurant that I've never been to.  Like today, I went to a restaurant, which shall remain unnamed, because the owner's incredibly nice, but the food was meh and incredibly overpriced.  But the owner's nice and thought I was going to do a review of it.  I won't.  I won't lie and I don't want to be mean.  I'll go there again to see if they can redeem themselves, but until then, nothing. 

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups of tinned chickpeas
1/4 cup of tahini
1/4 cup of lemon juice
1 garlic clove
Salt
Extra virgin olive oil

Method
Put everything in a food processor and blend until smooth. Adjust amount of salt and olive oil until you reach the desired consistency. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner