Wednesday 19 June 2013

Breakfast Berry Banana Spelt Salad

Spelt, farro, barley -- they all look awfully similar to each other.   I'd say they're even interchangeable. 
Isn't this pretty?  A pretty plate of food is the way to start the day, guys.  It's weird, I'm normally the type that wakes up minutes before my alarm, feeling fully energized, before 9 in the morning.  But lately I've devolved back into my teenage state and mornings have not been too nice.  I still wake up before 9, but with the alarm.  I feel better after about 10 minutes, but I don't usually need 10 minutes.  It's weird.  Maybe it's the different environment, the different diet.  Different diet - my trousers have been getting so tight, who knew there'd be so many nice things to eat in Germany?  Well, gaining weight or not, a nice whole grain breakfast with pretty colors is surely the way to start a day for anybody. 

Usually spelt berries need about an hour of cooking, but I discovered that if you just soak it overnight, they're pretty much cooked and a bit al dente.  Like I said, feel free to replace this with farro or barley.  

Serves 1
Ingredients
1/3 cup spelt berries
1/2 cup frozen berries
1 small banana
Honey, to taste

Method
Soak the spelt berries in water overnight.  The following morning put the spelt berries and frozen berries together in a pot and turn the heat up to medium-high.  Stir until berries soften, you can add a bit of water if you want. 

Mash your banana with a fork and stir into the spelt salad. Stir in honey.  Serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner