Sunday 22 December 2013

Yamyam (Berlin)

Korean food, in most parts of the world, is shamefully underrated.  It's spicy, it's fresh, and it's exciting.  There are stews, barbeques, sushis, pickles, noodles and rice.  Don't confuse it with Chinese or Japanese food as they have their own unique blend of condiments that form the basis of all these dishes.  It is no doubt one of my favorite cuisines in the world.

When I was in Berlin this summer for two months, I had a constant craving for Korean food.  I don't know if it's because I was having too much German bread and cheese and sausages, which I love by the way, but I just really felt like eating Korean food.  Berlin is amazing for many reasons: the nightlife, the art, the music, the young people, the life -- but for me, obviously, the food in a city really matters, and Berlin is amazing because of the restaurant scene.

So let's talk about this Korean restaurant.  I went to three in Berlin, the others were not as good and not as memorable, I don't even remember which ones they were.  This one definitely tops the list in terms of the food, the price and the atmosphere. 

The restaurant's situated in Mitte:  a humble setting with simple tables that are all squashed together, and most of the time it's just full of people and it's loud and it's fun. 

I've eaten there many times and I'm usually obnoxiously taking photos of everything I eat but surprisingly enough this is the only picture I have.  I suspect that the food was so good that I couldn't wait to take photos of them. 



This place is strongly recommended. You've got a wide range of choices, and the menu also has photos, which is a plus if you don't want to seem like an ignorant foreigner.  Everything is good.  I've had their gimbabs (Korean sushi, above), bibimbabs (rice bowls) and bulgogis (marinated beef) and mandus (dumplings), all of which were amazing.  I became a regular, I think I was there at least once a week.  So if you're new to Korean food or even if you're not, make sure to go to Yamyam and try some delicious goodies. 

Yamyam Berlin
http://www.yamyam-berlin.de/
Alte Schönhauser Straße 6, 10119 Berlin, Germany
+49 30 24632485
Mon-Sat   12:00pm - 12:00am
Sun    12:00pm - 11:00pm
















No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner