Sunday 16 February 2014

Champagne Truffles

I meant to post this on Valentine's Day but my internet stopped working (I'm refraining from ranting on about this perpetual problem and bad customer service).  Anyway, you can make these champagne truffles anytime.  I made these for my flatmate on Valentine's Day, and you know what?  I love Valentine's Day.  I'm single and I love Valentine's Day.  I think it's such a cute holiday, as it's a day dedicated to celebrate love.  Not just romantic love, any kind of love.  Love for friends, love for family, love for pets --  just love.  I know I'm in the minority here.  Even couples hate Valentine's Day, they think it's too much pressure or whatever.  I mean, it's like birthdays - birthdays are a celebration of one's existence.  We may appreciate that person's existence everyday but it's nice to have just one day dedicated to it, no?

Open up a bottle of champagne, use 2 tbsp of it to make these truffles, then use 1 cup of it to make a nice champagne risotto (for my Valentine's Day dinner I made a champagne, mussel and orange risotto, again, for me and my flatmate), and drink the rest of it at dinner.  Very romantic. 

Recipe from here
makes about 16-20 
Ingredients
100g milk chocolate
70g double cream
2 tbsp champagne
pinch of salt

For coating
100g milk chocolate
cocoa powder

Method
Chop the chocolate into very small pieces and put in a small bowl.

Heat the double cream with a pinch of salt over the stove top until it simmers and pour it over the chocolate pieces.  Leave for two minutes before stirring with a soft spatula, and stir until smooth.  Then add the champagne, one tbsp at a time, making sure that it's fully incorporated.

 Cover with cling film and put in the fridge to firm up for about 30 minutes, just so it's easier to handle.  Then using your hands and some cocoa powder (to stop it form sticking), make small spherical balls.  Place on a plate and leave to firm in the fridge for 2-3 hours.

For the coating, melt the chocolate over a double boiler until melted and smooth.  Leave to cool for a moment, and dip each chocolate truffle in the melted chocolate and leave to set.  Roll in cocoa powder afterwards if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner