Tuesday 25 March 2014

Rye and Caraway Drop Biscuits

First things first, I realize how confusing this is as these look like scones and in my previous post I have vanilla "biscuits" that are more like cookies... Just...British/American confusion, I apologize, I should keep things consistent.  

As I'm writing up this post, there's a rye and caraway bread dough rising happily in my kitchen, Disney songs playing in the background, and I've got an open cookbook on beef in front of me.  This whole studying at home thing is going swell.
Okay, now I've switched to something less embarrassing than Beauty and the Beast.  This is something my friend recommended on Facebook - and on a side note please check out her website, it's not food related, it's just breathtaking photos.  I don't know much about photography but her photos are mind-blowing, and just...they make me feel something.  All good art needs to elicit feelings and hers does.  She also has great taste in music.

And now onto these scones. Nice and crumbly.  I love rye bread but I didn't have time to make rye bread so I decided to make rye and caraway biscuits instead.

The rye gives it that lovely color as well as the nutty flavor.  It was time to start emptying out my cupboards - I had a pack of rye flour that I hadn't opened and caraway seeds that I had never used.  I really need to do more research on caraway seeds because when I think caraway seeds I just think rye bread, and there's got to be a better way of using them up than making a dozen loaves of rye bread.


Recipe adapted from Food52
makes 1 dozen medium scones
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup rye flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tsp caraway seeds
85g cold unsalted butter, cubed
1/2 cup  buttermilk
1 egg

Method
Preheat oven to 200C

In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and caraway seeds to combine.

Cut in the butter and mix until it ranges in size from peas to walnut halves in the dough. You can do this in a food processor or by hand, but it's better to do it by hand so that you don't over mix.

Whisk the buttermilk and egg to combine. Add the mixture to the dough and mix just until it comes together - it should be pretty shaggy but evenly combined.

Drop the dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet.

Bake in the oven until golden at the top and around the edges, 12-15 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner