Sunday 29 June 2014

Orange and Walnut Brittle

Okay okay okay, this is what happened in the last month -- I finished my exams, I had time off to do nothing and I didn't cook because I..don't know!  And then I graduated with a big proper ceremony with Latin and bagpipes, and I had a grad ball where I took 198 selfies and I have just left St Andrews.  It's funny, to think that I was a baby and complained and complained and complained nonstop for so long, right now it's kind of sad.  It's where I essentially grew up, as strange as it sounds seeing that I've only spent four years there.  I am not going to get all sentimental.  Yesterday, after saying goodbye to two good friends, I went to the supermarket and upon discovering that they ran out of raspberries, I cried.  On a side note, I'm so glad it's berry season here in Scotland.

But yea.  So that's that.  University's done.  My friends are going all over the place but no matter where they are, some of them I will keep in touch with and with some I won't, even if they've been one of my best friends in these years.  I know it sounds weird but unfortunately it's.. yea.  It sucks to say goodbye with "it's been great knowing you".  But hey I should start talking about this brittle.

I thought it'd be appropriate to share this recipe as it's just.. the typical thing I'd make in university hah.  Little sweet treats that I can just distribute - it's how I made friends. 
But good news - I am back.  I won't go a month without updating anymore, I am back.  I am leaving Edinburgh tomorrow morning and I'll be updating regularly again.  I know how much you've all missed me :*


makes about 30 2-bite pieces
Ingredients
1 cup walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
1/2 cup candied orange peel
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp butter
1/8 tsp baking soda

Method
Have all the ingredients ready before beginning.

Put the sugar into a pan in an even layer over medium heat.  When it turns amber - do not mess with the sugar with a wooden spoon or anything, just let it do its thing - and then take off the heat and add butter and baking soda.

Mix with a wooden spoon, and then mix in the walnuts and orange peel.

Quickly put contents onto a well greased baking tray and pat down into a thin even layer.

Wait for it to cool, about 15 minutes, and then break into pieces. 

2 comments:

  1. You're back!!!! I was wondering what you were up to this summer and came to check your blog several times but alas, there were no new updates. I have a happy belly (and happy eyes, too- look at those gorgeous brittle pieces...) now that you are back to blogging!

    ReplyDelete

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner