Tuesday 23 September 2014

Humble Peanut Butter Cookies

I went to the gym for another class a few days ago.  See, whereas previous sessions just bred anger, that night the instructor almost made me cry.

Now, imagine the following said in high volume and a Caribbean accent:
"Is that the best you can do?"
"I don't think you're trying hard enough.  Stretch those legs." 
"You can do better.  What will you do when you turn 50?"

I SWEAR THAT'S THE BEST I CAN DO.  I'M INCREDIBLY STIFF.  I'M SORRY.  I'M ONLY HERE SO I CAN EAT MORE COOKIES AND I HAVE THOSE COOKIES IN MY GYM BAG NOW.

Yea, that's what I have in my gym bag: deodorant, water, headphones, towel and cookies.
At the end of the class she told us to "thank our bodies".  Thank my body?  My body f*cking hated me at the end of that class.  I had to pacify my body by feeding it these peanut butter cookies.

But anyway, these are humble American peanut butter cookies.  Very peanuty, crispy and just simple and heart-warming.  I imagine it made by American mothers for their children when they go to school.  You know, uh, sports snacks, I think *ahem*.

Recipe from David Lebovitz
Makes 30 2-inch cookies
Ingredients
1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
½ cup granulated sugar, plus more for rolling cookies
½ cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Method

"In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together butter, sugars, and peanut butter just until smooth. Add egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Add the flour mixture and mix just until the dough comes together.

Cover and refrigerate the dough for at least 2 hours or up to overnight. Remove the dough from refrigerator and let it come to room temperature.

With racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven, preheat to 350F. Line two baking sheets with parchment or silicone baking mats. Pour about ¼ cup of granulated sugar in a small bowl.

Using a 1-inch cookie scoop or a heaping tablespoon, roll dough into 1-inch balls. Roll them in the granulated sugar and place on prepared cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Using the back tines of a fork, make a crosshatch pattern on each cookie, flattening it slightly.

Bake, rotating sheets halfway, until cookies begin to brown at the edges but centers still look slightly uncooked, 9 to 10 minutes. Cool cookies on the baking sheet for 3 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely."

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner