Wednesday 29 October 2014

Carrot Pancakes with Spiced Salted Yogurt

I just went to an Italian deli and totally spoiled myself by buying some Parma ham and pickled artichokes.  Sorry, this has absolutely nothing to do with these pancakes but the taste of the prosciutto is still in my mouth and, I'll be honest, these pancakes, which I just had as well, were good, but man that prosciutto was divine.  I eat cheap meals of carrots and root veg and pulses normally so that I can afford to splurge every now and then at a nice deli.  I've always wanted to work in a nice deli where you're taught so much.  And you probably get to nibble on everything as well.  

So, let's go back to these cheap dishes.  This is a recipe originally from Bon Appetit, which describes these as a cross between a latke and a pancake.  Yea, that pretty much describes it.  What's great is the spiced salted yogurt, because the carrot pancakes are quite sweet and delicate and then you get this exciting sauce which makes the dish stand out.  I know it looks really simple and it's just pancakes and sauce, but it's really good.  I'm thinking about making them smaller to make little canapes next time. Along with some parma ham on the side. I was so cheap at the deli just now, I actually asked the server what the smallest amount of Parma ham I could have was because it was heart-breakingly expensive.  And the artichokes, I got two and it was £3.50.  Two little ones. *sniff*

Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit
makes 4 small pancakes
Ingredients
4 medium carrots, shredded
2 eggs, beaten
1 heaped tbsp flour
1/2 sprig spring onion
zest of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup Greek yogurt
1/2 tbsp olive oil 
1/4 tsp fennel seeds
1/4 tsp caraway seeds
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
mint leaves

Method
Mix the carrots in a bowl with the egg, flour, spring onion and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper.

Make the sauce by frying the spices in 1/2 tbsp of vegetable oil over medium-high heat and when fragrant turn off heat.  Leave to cool before mixing it with Greek yogurt and olive oil.

Put some oil in a pan over medium-high heat and when hot, add about 2 tbsp of batter in, pat down to about 1cm thick.  Fry until golden and then flip over and cook until that side's golden as well.  Repeat with the remaining batter.  Serve with yogurt sauce and torn mint leaves.

2 comments:

  1. These look absolutely delicious!!! Just made the baby aubergines, those were fantastic too!

    ReplyDelete

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner