Friday 14 November 2014

Roasted Butternut Squash with Brussels Sprouts Salsa

 So I was given a peeler on a date once.  I was invited over for dinner, and he was peeling some beetroots, I commented on the aesthetics and the quality of his peeler, and next thing I know he said he had two and he gave me one.  I got a lovely home cooked meal AND a peeler at the end of the date.  I think I did well.

Anyway, thought about that date as I was peeling the butternut squash for this dish.  This is a recipe from Ottolenghi, and oh, that brussels sprouts salsa is simply amazing.

I need to find out more about sumac.  I got some sumac just for this recipe and I have no idea how else I should use it.  Any advice?

Recipe adapted from Ottolenghi
Serves 4-6
Ingredients
For the salsa
1 medium red onion, finely sliced
2 large red chillies, deseeded and sliced
1 clove of garlic, minced
2 tsp sumac
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tbsp lemon juic
2 tsp maple syrup
200g brussels sprouts, trimmed and finely shredded

For the squash
1 medium butternut squash, peeled, cut in half and then cut into 1cm slices
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp cinnamon
200g goat's cheese, crumbled

Method
Preheat the oven to 200C.

Mix all the ingredients for the salsa together in a large bowl, season with salt and pepper, and leave for at least 30 minutes to marinate (I felt like it tasted better after an hour).

Toss the squash with the olive oil, cinnamon and salt and pepper.  Spread on a baking tray and roast for 30-40 minutes or until tender. 

Arrange the squash on the plate, spoon the salsa on top and crumble the goat's cheese over it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner