Sunday 9 November 2014

Sun-Dried Tomato and Cheese Profiteroles

 I can't cook in culinary school.  Something about the time limit, the teacher watching my every move, the need to strive for perfection.  I'm having to weigh the salt and butter, quadruple-check the recipe, and be constantly conscious of washing my hands and not double-dipping.  I know they're good habits to keep but f*cking hell.  My food's often overcooked or undercooked or bland or unevenly cut or served on a plate with finger prints on.  The other day I f*cked up a risotto and a pasta in front of an English chef.  An Italian, having her pasta and risotto criticized by an English man.  That was a new low.

So I haven't been cooking much at home.  Not because I cook all day in school and I'm in school 40 hours a week but because I come home everyday utterly deflated as I doubt my ability to turn on a stove. 
This weekend I had planned to practice some exam dishes, one of which is coffee eclairs.  I love my profiteroles and choux pastry and creme patisserie but making those eclairs was such a chore.  Halfway through, just as I was heating up the milk for the creme patisserie and starting my choux pastry mix, I said f*ck it and decided to do my own thing.  I relaxed and opened my cupboards to see what I had and I enjoyed cooking again.  And I made these. 
makes about 50 small choux buns
Choux pastry recipe adapted from Giallo Zafferano
Ingredients
Choux buns
200ml cold water
100g butter, cubed
140g flour, sifted
5g sugar
3g salt
4 eggs, whisked

1 egg yolk for egg wash

Sun-dried tomato filling (adjust the quantities to your liking)
1/4 cup Sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
1 tbsp capers, finely chopped
2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
200g cream cheese, softened
1/2 tsp paprika

Method
Preheat the oven to 190C.  Grease a large baking tray.

Bring the cold water, salt, butter and sugar to the boil and let boil for 5 seconds then remove from heat.  Quickly stir in the sifted flour and when well-combined, put it back on the heat (medium-high) and stir until the edges come away from the pan.  Put in a bowl and leave to cool. 

Add the eggs, a bit at a time, stirring well, making sure it's completely incorporated before adding more.  You may not need all the eggs, it needs to be dropping consistency. 

Put the mixture in a piping bag and pipe into small rounds a few cm apart from each other.  Whisk the egg yolk and brush the top of the top of the choux buns with a bit of it (it's easier just dabbing it with your finger).  Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until golden.

In the mean time make the filling by mixing the ingredients together to taste. 

Cut the choux buns in half and put the filling inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner