Wednesday 4 February 2015

Coffee & Walnut Granola

Just for that extra boost of caffeine in the morning because I wake up with a double espresso and it's not enough.  I'm up by 5:40am half the week - did I mention that?  I started drinking coffee quite early on and so with time I've had to increase my daily dosage for it to have an effect on me.  Life is short, I want to be awake for most of it.
I'm otherwise very healthy -- I drink alcohol minimally and if I do I try to stick to wine.  I don't smoke or do recreational drugs and I get my five-a-days almost everyday.  The only thing that could be of a slight concern is my coffee consumption (and my lack of exercise - but we'll ignore that).  I read all about the benefits of coffee to make myself feel better and I do drink a lot of water to make up for the dehydration.  But more than the necessity of its effects is its flavor that I love.  One of my favorite snacks is dark chocolate-coated coffee beans.  I just love anything that's coffee-flavored.  And all the combos like hazelnut and coffee, vanilla and coffee and dark berries and coffee -- and also coffee in savory BBQed meats mmm.  And so I had to make a coffee-flavored granola, obviously.  Like all granolas I make/buy, it disappeared pretty quickly.

Makes about 4-5 cups
Ingredients
3 cups rolled oats
3 tbsp espresso
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup honey
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup walnuts

Method
Preheat oven to 160C.

Put the coconut oil and honey and melt over low heat, then mix with the espresso.

Mix the rolled oats with salt, then stir in the wet ingredients.  When all mixed through, stir in the walnuts.

Spread on lined baking tray and bake for 30-35 minutes, stirring every now and then, until oats are golden.  Leave to cool on tray before storing.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner