Tuesday 3 March 2015

Salmon & Beetroot on Toast


There are those lessons you should've learned as a child.  You know, those annoying little things that your parents repeatedly told you - don't talk to strangers, look both ways when you cross the road, tie your shoe laces - things that should've been engrained in you, especially the last one.  So here's a fun little anecdote completely irrelevant to this recipe:  I was walking about in Camden Town and I saw from afar that the traffic light was about to turn red at the zebra crossing ahead of me.  I therefore picked up my pace and planned on sprinting to the end.  That was the plan.  However, just as I started running, just after a couple of steps, I trip on my shoe laces and fall right in the middle of the pavement.  In public.  In a rather busy Camden Town.  It all happened very quick, I fell and the first reaction was to pick myself back up and resume to normal activities, pretend nothing has happened, avoid the embarrassment, just pretend nothing has happened.  Only when you're up and walking does the pain kick in.  It was a Sunday morning and I had to walk in the city with my head held high, with ripped tights and bleeding kneecaps for a good twenty minutes before I finally managed to find a Boots that was open.  Yea but the embarrassment was the main thing.  I tried but I couldn't pull it off as a fashion statement.  If you don't know me, just know that ripped tights aren't my thing.  Especially not ripped tights and blood. 

Anyway, it's all good.  Let's turn our attention to these little appetizers.  You know, as a child, besides not listening to my mom on vital life lessons, I hated smoked salmon.  I was not a rational child.  Now I can't get enough of smoked salmon.  With cream cheese, with butter, with capers, with olives, on its own, I just love it.  I think being in Scotland for four years helped foster this affection.  I got this recipe from Saveur, a nice and simple dish where you just have smoked salmon with some beetroot spread. Delish.
Recipe adapted from Saveur 
makes 1 1/2 cup of beetroot spread
Ingredients
2 beetroots
Balsamic vinegar
Black pepper
160g Smoked salmon
1 bunch watercress, leaves picked.
Rye Bread

Method
Drizzle the beetroots with olive oil, salt and pepper.  Wrap in tin foil and bake in a preheated oven of 200C for about 30-40 minutes or until tender.  Leave to cool, and then put in a food processor and blitz until smooth.  Add balsamic vinegar and pepper to taste. 

Spread the beetroot mixture on rye bread slices and top with smoked salmon and watercress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner