Monday 18 May 2015

Mirza Ghasemi (Persian Aubergine, Tomato & Egg)

Sunday afternoon I spent dogsitting.  It was sunny, we went to the park, we played in the terrace, we napped on the sofa - everyone needs some dog therapy.  It was such an uplifting day where I allowed myself to do absolutely nothing.  I had brought my laptop with the intention of doing some work but I just went 5 hours straight without doing anything.  I was at my friend's place who lives with three chefs and thus the house has an impressive cookbook collection.  That's where I found this recipe. Yea, 5 hours of sitting in the sun, playing with the dogs and reading cookbooks - more Sundays should be like that.

Mirza ghasemi is a Persian aubergine, tomato and egg dish redolent of turmeric and garlic.  So much garlic. Two bulbs of garlic, which was really alarming to me at first. I thought I had misunderstood.  But then I thought, oh well, it's filled with antioxidants and I don't have a partner in London so I just chucked it in. Maybe I should've mashed the aubergines up a bit more as it's eaten more as a dip with bread I believe.   It's incredibly delicious with strong bold flavors.  I love it.

I've just finished eating this and I feel slightly self conscious, I do need to see people after this.  Should chew some gum. 

Recipe from Persiana
Serves 6-8
Ingredients
6 large aubergines
olive oil
2 garlic bulbs, cloves peeled, bashed and thinly sliced
1 heaped tsp turmeric
6 large ripe tomatoes, quartered
4 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp caster sugar
salt
4 medium eggs, beaten
handful of broken walnut pieces to garnish

Method
Put the aubergines in an oven set at 220C for about 40 minutes until soft.

Fry the garlic slices in olive oil over medium-low heat until slightly browned around the edges.  Stir in the turmeric and the tomatoes.  Simmer for 15 minutes until all is broken up.

Remove the flesh from the aubergines, roughly chop and add to the pan.  Stir and cook for a couple of minutes, mashing a little as you go.

Stir in the tomato puree and cook out for a further five minutes.

Make lots of little holes in the mixture and pour the beaten eggs into the pan.  Do not stir, you want to ensure the eggs are cooking and solidifying before you incorporate.  It should take about 5 minutes.

Add sugar and season with salt and pepper, give it a stir. Leave to cool as it's best eaten warm. Garnish with walnuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner