Wednesday 13 May 2015

Sunflower & Pumpkin Seed Cookies

 They're just simple cookies, with the texture akin to biscotti, crunchy and satisfying with nutty notes coming from the seeds.  I needed to make something simple.   After two days of making an entremet that consisted of a white chocolate and cardamom mousse, a sesame sponge, a lime sable base, a mango and lime gel insert, and then a white chocolate glacage, altogether topped up with tuile and chocolate garnishes - I just wanted to do something simple at home.

I think I've lost that spark.  I used to have that unconstrained passion for cooking and food and I've lost it. It's especially evident when I'm surrounded by people who have what I had - all these classmates of mine in culinary school exuding all this excitement and enthusiasm whereas I'm just there trying to get by.  Trying to not let dread and indifference overcome me.   I still do well enough in school I suppose. 
I came home that day just wanting to make something simple.  These are easy and therapeutic to make.  I love the seeds. I love the earthiness of pumpkin seeds especially.  They're good just for a snack and take no time at all to make.  Simple, rustic, late night baking. 

Makes about 30 small cookies
Recipe adapted from here
Ingredients
170g flour
60g cornflour
1/2 tsp salt
6g baking powder
100g caster sugar
50g pumpkin seeds
50g sunflower seeds
40g butter, melted and cooled
2 eggs, whisked

Method
Toast the seeds in a pan or in the oven until golden brown. Take half and grind in a food processor.  Reserve the other half.

In a bowl, mix together the ground seeds, flour, cornflour, salt, baking powder and sugar. 

Stir in the butter and the egg and mix until it's all well combined.  Roll into a ball, wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 180C.  Take the dough out of the fridge and roll into small balls (I made mine about half the size of a golf ball).  Spread the remaing seeds on a plate and press each ball down onto the seeds so it becomes slightly flattened with one side covered in seeds.  Place on greased baking tray with the seeds side up and repeat with remaining.  Place the cookies slightly apart - they won't really spread too much.

Bake until golden around the edges, about 15-20 minutes. Leave to cool before consumption.

1 comment:

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner